Tis the season...........


No....I am not talking about Christmas. I am talking about SHEDDING! My experience has brought me to the conclusion that what many customers want is to be rid of that excess hair that creates tumbleweeds and dust bunnies in their houses . Are you providing a solution to that problem? Do you understand why & how dogs shed? Does your salon have a shedding program to offer customers? If not........I think.... you are missing the boat!

Many things contribute to the shedding issue, nutrition, hormones, light, temperature, heredity. One thing is consistent...dogs shed! Educate yourself about shedding and dog hair. What causes shedding? What is it in their food that can improve their skin & coat and help reduce shedding? Implement a deshedding service in your salon and encourage repeat business on breeds that normally are not considered marketed breeds (poodles, cockers, yorkies) for the grooming salon. Short coated breeds like Labs, Beagles, Pugs benefit immensely from these programs. You are solving the pet owners problem and gaining loyal customers in the process. It's a win - win situation!!! Don't forget about cat owners as well. These are easy ( in comparison) grooms with big returns. Encourage
deshedding treatments every 4-8 weeks for the best results. Research the many products and tools available that are on the market today and start making $$$$$ from all that hair!

Comments

Audrey said…
I do offer the Furminator at my salon and have for the past 5 years, but I am at a loss with regard to shedding. Many years ago, dogs shed seasonally..Now I think environmental changes have signficantly effected that cycle. My dog is a border collie mix, eats raw, gets supplements, is active and I do the furminator on her dry one a week and she gets bathed every four..she is still shedding; I think we are past nutrition etc.
Pet Salon Pro said…
Thank you for your comment. It is important to remember that in spite of all the techniques and products available on the market, nothing will stop dogs from shedding completely. It is important to know that improving diets and implementing some sort of regular de shedding, that there will be less hair blowing around. When someone comes up with a way to get rid of the hair completely..they will be a millionaire!
Anonymous said…
I've offered a de-shedding treatment since I've opened and charged it as an add on.. $3-$9 extra. I found with this that most times you seem to do more work than the customer is paying for. So I just recently started a package called "The De-Shed" which is the bath and tidy + de-shedding which includes a specific conditioner & the dog has to pass the pull test(no more than 3 hairs come out when tugging at the coat). All my de-shed packages are quoted an approximate amount that gives me a $15 window to work with. Just thought I'd throw my experience with this in! Love your blog & facebook page, great ideas!
Pet Salon Pro said…
It is such an easy thing to sell because it is providing a solution to a pet owners problem. The customer leaves getting what they wanted and you have a few extra dollars in your pocket. get these clients to rebook and come in regularly and it will be a win win situation. Thank you for reading and the nice comments pass this on to your grooming friends.

Popular Posts