Back in the Saddle

It's been awhile since I have posted anything here. I have gone from being a Salon owner, to a Corporate Salon Manager, to being involved in a near fatal accident, to not sure I could or wanted to groom anymore, to owning a successful Mobile Grooming business, I have built from scratch. Today, I feel I am where I am supposed to be. Buying my first van in 2013 fulfilled a 20  year dream of mine. The road I traveled to get here was full of twists and turns, and many mistakes.....many....

What that means to my readers is that I have seen and been through a lot and can bring my experience to the table. I am still on my journey, growing my mobile business, excited about the future and am willing to share the experience.

I just returned from Groom Expo, in Hershey, Pa. I only took one seminar, a business one, by Khris Berry, who owns a Grooming, Daycare, Training business, with locations in Florida and Kentucky. Hopefully, without sounding arrogant, I was thrilled to actually find a seminar a veteran stylist, such
 as myself, could actually learn something new. She discussed marketing..which I love, managing..which I can always use advice on, Money and Media. It was a very good seminar that any pet business person could find value in. She is speaking around the country and I recommend her seminar, highly, if you get the chance. The next one will be at the New England Pet Professionals, in Massachusetts, this October 2017.

I must have attended 25-30 Groom Expos and Intergrooms, in my career. Being around my peers, watching the skills of the competition groomers, and checking out all the new stuff out there, to help me do my job better, really motivates me and inspires me. We work hard and sometimes we need a break to get recharged and remember why we do this job. Thankfully, there are lots of videos and reading that can be done online, for those unable to attend these events. Many of the leaders in our industry now have programs and DVD's available.
I recommend  https://www.groomingprofessors.com/, with Chris Pawlosky and Judy Doyle Hudson.
Also
https://www.learn2groomdogs.com/, Melissa Verplank's site has tons of videos from the industries best groomers.

Pet grooming is very subjective. You can be the best of the best, a competition groomer or a basic, I shave dogs kind of groomer. Because this industry is unregulated and unlicensed you see a vast array of skills and styles being put out there. Educate yourself. Be the best you can be, doing the kind of work you want to do. Never before, in the history of this industry, have you had so many opportunities to learn. The worst mistake anyone can make is becoming complacent and thinking they know it all. You can teach an old dog new tricks! I am proof of that.






Popular Posts