The Time is NOW! Holiday Prep for the Pet Salon ( Part 1)



Hey there...
I have been missing in action for a few months. I had an incredibly busy summer. My mobile business is booming and I took out the time to complete 2 certifications. In July I became certified to be a Pet Tech CPR & First Aid Instructor. Now not only do I have this knowledge myself I can teach others. Pet professionals and pet owners alike.
.
 In August I traveled to South Carolina to do my hands-on testing to complete my CFMG. I am now a Certified Feline Master Groomer. I am very proud of this accomplishment that took me 2 years to complete.  Now I can breathe and relax some and get back to the status quo.
Time has been moving quickly and all of a sudden I am booking December appointments for my clients. How did that happen? 

At that realization, my mind kicked into planning ahead for my holiday biz this year. With the weather here in NY still in the 80's during the day, it is hard to fathom the holidays are right around the corner. Many groomers may be caught off guard and need a reminder that our busy season is coming fast and we all need to take the bull by the horns and make some plans….NOW!


 A perfect subject for my blog post.

So ideally I should have started this a month ago. August and September are the best months to plan for the coming crazy months. Personally, I rebook everything. At each visit, I will book my clients right through the end of the year. This gives my regulars their preferred appointment spots. On the next visit, bring it to your client's attention that the holidays are X weeks away and to prebook if they want a preferred spot on your schedule. Many clients who never prebooked before may continue to do so into the New Year. It then becomes a habit. They really don’t think about it unless you bring it to their attention. Have that discussion when you see them next. Get those preferred spots booked!

Earlier in the year, I blocked off the days I want to spend with my family during the holidays. These are nonnegotiable. Personally, every year I take off the week between Christmas and New Year’s. I spend the time unwinding and enjoying family. I also take the weekend off after Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve. You may choose to do something different but block those days off in your schedule so nothing accidentally gets booked. This is important for self-care. A tired, burnt out groomer is not a joy to be around. This is your holiday season too. You will have time to shop, decorate, and just enjoy the season. Make sure you make time to enjoy your family traditions and keep your stress level to a minimum.

I know of one groomer who does not accept full grooms the week of Christmas. She does baths and tidy. She can get more pets done when she works so everyone can have a clean pet. She then schedules those pets for a full groom in January when it can be a slower time in most grooming shops. This is not the time for those once a year, or even twice a year grooms and pain in the butt clients. Who has time for that?

It is also the time to think of what kind of promotions, if any, that you will do. Make decisions and announce your plans in emails, newsletters, on social media. My plan is to do a Holiday package with scented shampoo and finishing spray, and a holiday accessory. This package will be offered for an additional price of $10.00. I will make a card on Canva, have it printed, announcing this special that I will personally hand to each client I see before their holiday appointment. They can also be mailed and posted in your salon. For cats, I may offer a discount on holiday-colored Soft Paws and scented shampoo, specially made for cats.

Whatever you come up with get the word out there. There are lots of great ideas that pet groomers come up with. I would love to hear about what you are going to do this year.

This discussion will continue next week. Stay tuned for Part 2 Holiday prep in the Pet Salon. Share with us what your holiday promotion will be.

Comments

Monica said…
Even though many people associate pet grooming with brushes and ribbons, it is actually essential to their general health and welfare. According to PetCareRx, By regularly grooming your pet, you can detect any underlying diseases or disorders early, making it possible to treat them more quickly and effectively and reducing the likelihood that they will have any lasting effects on your pet.
The Pet Nest said…
Top Dog Grooming Service in Mumbai - The Pet Nest

Experience the best Dog Grooming Service in Mumba at The Pet Nest. Our professional groomers in Mumbai pamper your furry friends with expert care and a wide range of grooming services.

Popular Posts