Mindful Mornings for Pet Professionals



Earlier this year I was introduced to a term called reverse engineering. I tend to study successful people I admire and learn about their journey to success and how they got there. Reverse engineering means to look at a successful person and go backward. What did they do to get where they are? What habits do they have? Time and time again I learned that these people I respected so much all have a morning routine. They start their day on a positive note with a plan and intention.

It used to be I would hit the snooze button over and over. Then I would jump out of bed, stumble around, and rush out the door frantic and unorganized. More times than not that is how my day would go. My days would make me feel like a hamster on a wheel. I was working, working, working and going nowhere.

My first introduction to a morning routine I was at a business retreat with a very smart business savvy woman. We shared a room and I witnessed her doing her “thing” in the morning. Piquing my interest, I asked her about it. She told me she followed the teachings of Hal Elrod who wrote the book “The Miracle Morning”. The morning routine consisted of a series of actions that when done consistently can have life-changing results.  

Tony Robbins, Oprah, Steve Jobs, Lady Gaga, to name a few, all have morning routines. Mr. Elrod called these the 6 Life SAVERS.

S. Silence
A. Affirmations
V. Visualization
E. Exercise
R. Reading
S. Scribing

He proposed getting up earlier than you normally would. I do an hour. Then devote a set amount of time to each of these before you get ready for the day. Done consistently these will become a habit. Done consistently he says these practices will give you more energy, focus, and motivation to accomplish all that you desire in life.

I adapted my morning routine. Initially, I followed “The Miracle Morning” guidelines but like everything in my life, it is a work in progress. Getting up an hour earlier was initially a struggle. It is now a habit and I automatically wake up the same time each day. I lay in my bed and practice gratitude, for my health, my family, my ability to make a good living. Sometimes I do a guided meditation with an app on my phone. Reading is another thing I try to fit in. My reading material varies from day to day, but I am curious about so much and love to learn.

 I also love affirmations and visualization. At my desk, I have a list of affirmations I say aloud or in silence. My favorite affirmation is “I am Enough”. Hanging near my desk is my vision board where I can see and visualize all my hopes and dreams. It has photos and quotes and inspires me every time I look at it.

Occasionally I journal. I find this particularly hard for me. It is easiest after a meditation. My head is clear, and I just put pen to paper and write down what comes to mind. When I find myself distracted and unfocused, I find that sometimes reading my earlier written jottings brings me clarity. I also make lists of what I would like to accomplish for the day and set an intention. My lists are not long and if I do not accomplish something, I move it to another day. I have learned not to beat myself up for not accomplishing my whole list every day.

Exercise has been my crux. I used to do 30 minutes every day and after being ill for a time I got out of the habit. I try to do something every day. I love yoga and hiking. I may not get to this in the morning but try to incorporate into my day if possible. As I said earlier, I am a work in progress.

So, my routine is different than my friend who opened my eyes to this. It is most likely different than Oprah’s, but it is my life and I do it my way. Yours could look totally different than all of ours. I find by having this morning routine I walk out the door happy and focused. I get in my van (I am a mobile groomer) and put a big smile on my face. I say to myself “how lucky am I to be able to do this for a living?” And my day begins.

This practice has made a significant change in my life and business and I recommend everyone have a morning routine.

Namaste

Popular Posts